Monday, November 11, 2013

The Ugly Truth or: I Blame DST

So here is the thing.

On any given day, during reasonable (daylight) hours, I will assure you that I don't feel any different than 10, or 15 years ago. I still do the same things. I mean, the going-to-school-part hasn't changed since I was six, but basically, I don't feel like I have grown older over the past decade. If you look at my nutritional choices or ability to understand tax documents, you would think that I am far away from adulthood.

However, this past weekend, I was proven that I have been living a lie. Not just once, but twice, I felt that I have gained in years dramatically. There is a slight chance my body is even older than I think.

The first shock came to me on Friday, when I was looking for my slippers. When I finally spotted them under the bed and tried to reach for them (mind you, I am not very artistic in my physical movements), I somehow tipped/ fell over the bed or my own feet. I'm not sure. Everything happened so quickly.
It wasn't a fall from far up (I'm only 5'5"), but trust me, my body felt as if I had fallen from a roof top, or at least a table. So I may or may not have laid there for a minute before I finally managed to get up.

Source

Needless to say, I may have to put this on my Christmas list.


However, the worst was still to come.

Nick and I went out on a terrific date on Saturday. It was wonderful. We had wine and great food, walked around one of Berlin's neighborhoods, and just had the best time. We had left at 3pm and after a walk through the Tiergarten, it had already turned dark outside, so we looked for a place to eat.

Daylight savings time is really effective when it comes to tricking you into thinking it is already much later and time to eat and/ or sleep. In fact, it is so effective that we were ready for dinner before 6pm (a normal dinner time for us is maybe 9 or 10pm).

I am blaming DST and it's wicked ways of giving our night such an early start for causing me to drink 3 times as much wine as I normally have. (The tequila shot at the end of the night may have been my own fault, though.)

So Sunday, I woke up feeling like this:


I had grand plans to get cleaning done, finish some of my readings, catch up on emails, blog... you know, just do all the things!

Instead, Nick and I had Döner/ Lamachun for breakfast and then stayed on the couch for the entire day, watching a whole season of Modern Family and two movies. 

The ugly truth is not that I had an insane amount to drink and was hungover. - The ugly truth is that I had 3 glasses of light wine and one shot over a stretch of 6 hrs and felt like death as a result of it. 

Yea. 

So today, I am off to do all the things I couldn't do yesterday. 

On the bright side, we had the best time and it was absolutely worth it. Plus, we now know for the next time that Döner is not only the greatest dinner, but also the best hangover food. 

... and if that doesn't work, I've read here that asparagus can do wonders as well!



Happy Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment